Official name of the country: Federal Republic of Germany
Capital and major cities: Berlin?
Geographical location (marked clearly on a map, also identify the neighboring countries) Germany is located in Central Europe, bordering the Baltic Sea and the North Sea, between the Netherlands and Poland, to the south of Denmark.
Year of Independence May 23,1949
Population size: 82,271,189
Official Currency : Euro
Official Languages : German
Official Religions : Christianity (majority), Judaism, Islam.
Flag (printed with the original colors) and meaning
The flag consists of the colors of the coat-of-arms of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. A black eagle, with red beak and claws, on a gold field.
Form of government (type, duration period) Federal parliamentary republic
Name of the prime minister, president or similar:President Frank-Walter Steinmeier. Since 19 March 2017, Chancellor Angela Merkel
The main resources of the country and GDP of the last three years
2017-3 263.35 billion euros
2016-3 144.05 billion euros
2015- 3 04.65 billion euros
technology, automobiles, domestic equipment and chemical exports. Natural resources, natural gas, coal, uranium, iron ore, arable land, construction materials, nickel, salt.
Recent history of the country (from 1945 to present).
• 1945 – Allies divide Germany into occupation zones.
• 1949 – Germany is divided. the Federal Republic of Germany and German Democratic Republic
• 1961 – Berlin Wall ends steady
• 1973 – East and West Germany join the UN.
• 1987 – East German leader pays first official visit to West.
• 1990 – East Germans elect pro-unification parliament, state merged into Federal Republic.
• 1994 – Russian and Allied troops finally leave Berlin.
• 1995 – Election victory for Social Democrat leader.
• 2004 August/September – Tens of thousands protest in streets, particularly in eastern regions, over government plans to cut unemployment benefit and other welfare and labour reforms.
• 2005 leader Angela Merkel becomes chancellor.
• 2006 Unemployment falls below 4 million for the first time in four years.
• 2008 Germany is declared to be officially in recession.
• 2009 The country is out of recession.
• 2010 22.4bn euro contribution Greece.
• 2011 All nuclear power plants will be out by 2022.
• 2012 The Fderal Constitutional Court partly give the military the right to use weapons in event of “catastrophic proportions”.
• Germany experienced its biggest surge in immigration in almost 20 years.
• 2013 Germany remove most of its troops from Afghanistan.
• 2014 For first time Germany has minimum wage
• 2015 temporary asylum to refugees.
• 2016 Sex attacks on hundreds of women in Cologne and other German cities during New Year celebrations by men largely of North African or Arab appearance
• Attacks by migrant Islamic State sympathisers in Wuerzburg and Ansbach leave 17 people injured.
• Tunisian migrant Anis Amri kills 12 people.
Major social conflicts/issues nowadays
• Migration crisis
Since that allowed access to immigrants because of the crisis in their respective countries. Some groups in Germany did not agree and now there is a crisis within the country due to the violence that exists towards migrants, strikes, disagreements. Many think that this problem can cause something similar to the Nazi movement, in fact, the group against immigrants is called neo-Nazis. Despite the effects of this movement, it is not considered that it could really be as big as the Nazi movement because today there are laws and justice that protects people from these events.
There is a problem of insecurity within Germany due to the entry of migrants since some of them have committed acts against the law such as murders, rapes.
Also because, for these reasons, terrorist attacks have occurred as in December 2016, which was the biggest temptation that Germany has suffered.
Despite these events, foreigners take first place in small thefts within statistics.
Major political conflicts/issues nowadays
• Lack of laws for the immigration situation
• German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez on Saturday pledged to boost collaboration with Morocco to alleviate the migration crisis that has become one of the main political and humanitarian problems of the European Union.
“We have to improve free movement, because in theory immigrants should not arrive in Germany who enter through Spain and this does not correspond to reality, we have to organize the EU countries in a fair system and organize repatriation,” declared Merkel.
Major economic conflicts/issues nowadays
• A vulnerable economy this is because it was reoriented to export even more than it already was.
• growing inequality because although the economy grew, the poor became poorer
• Despite a considerable decline in recent years, unemployment in the former East Germany is still about 8.5%, almost double that in the western part of the country.
What is the General Assembly/Security Council?
The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, in which all member nations are equal.
What is it main objective?
Analyzes current situations of critical importance to the international community in the form of thematic debates.
When and where do they meet?
The Assembly meets from September to December of each year.
How does it work?
The Assembly can make recommendations to the States on the international issues of their competence
They are currently in the period 72 and their president is MIROSLAV LAJ?ÁK
Antonio Martinez. (2018). ¿Han disparado los inmigrantes la delincuencia en Alemania?. 29 Agust, de El confidencial Sitio web: https://www.elconfidencial.com/mundo/2018-08-29/alemania-inmigrantes-ultraderecha-delincuencia_1609203/
El financiero. (2018). España y Alemania apuestan por política migratoria común con Marruecos. August 29, de El financiero Sitio web: http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/mundo/espana-y-alemania-apuestan-por-politica-migratoria-comun-con-marruecos
Fergal Keane. (2015). Crisis de los migrantes: ¿trae el ascenso de la extrema derecha en Alemania ecos del nazismo?. August 29, de BBC Sitio web: https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias/2015/12/151220_crisis_migrantes_refugiados_alemania_extrema_derecha_lvPablo Esparza. (2017). 5 problemas que muestran la otra cara del éxito económico de Alemania. August 29, de BBC Sitio web: https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-internacional-41333622
Statista. (2017). Germany: Gross domestic product (GDP) from 2007 to 2017 (in billion euros). August 29, de Statista Sitio web: https://www.statista.com/statistics/295444/germany-gross-domestic-product/