Score: ______ / ______
Name: _Antonio Castillo_______________________________
Student Number: _JM1309655_______________________
Directions: Answer the questions below. Use full sentences when applicable.
1. Give two examples of each of the following elements of poetry from the poems you have read in Units 4, 5, and 6.
“I wandered lonely as a cloud””By the side of the pale-faced moon.”
“Nothing but a hot Swish of strings like silk Ten feet out.”
“This bundle of clothes I wash and hang and wash againlike flags we share, a country so closeno one needs to name it”
“The seven days war that put the world to sleep””The tractors lie about our fields”
“Ball goes in (thwack) to mitt, and goes out (thwack) back to mitt.”
“Sometimes ball gets hit (pow) when bat meets it.”
“Sokoya, I said, looking through the net of wrinkles into wise black pools of her eyes.” “A shade of feeling rippled the wind-tanned skin.”
“This bed whose covers I straighten smoothing edges till blue quilt fits brown blanket and nothing hangs out.” “Outside was a scene of total destruction. Their house was gone, a few planks in its place.”
“Ten thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt, five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt.” “Maggie and milly and molly and may went down to the beach (to play one day)”
Alliteration: “When to the sessions of sweet silent thought I summon up remembrance of things past, I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought, And with old woes new wail my dear times waste” “His brow is deeply lined with thought, his head is highly domed; His coat is dusty from neglect, his whiskers are uncombed. He sways his head from side to side, with movements like a snake.”
“Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim.” “Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter.”
Consonance: “Sound, spins herself to sleep, sand tingling her ankles” the consonant “s” is repeated in Mora’s Uncoiling.
“You liked winning with words” the consonant “w” is repeated in Mora’s A Voice.
Repetition: “how did I do it?” how did I do it?” (a voice by Pat Mora)
“Play hard, play together, play smart”
2. Cite examples from the texts you’ve read in Units 4, 5, and 6 to briefly explain the answers to the Big Questions.
A.Unit 4: How does communication change us? We can talk to other and learn from them. When a natural disaster happens we can talk to the people that were there and the news can tells us what happened. Without communication we wouldn’t know anything that is going on in the world, other than what is going on where we live.
B. Unit 5: Do our differences define us? Yes, our differences show who we are. It makes are character define us. It makes us special.
C. Unit 6: Do heroes have responsibilities? Yes, they do have responsibilities because people depend on then, so they have to fulfill their duties with pleasure, and cleverness.
3. Discuss the role of conflict in three of the texts you read in Units 4, 5, or 6. In unit 4 collection 1 it is about love, dreams, and natural world. Collection 2 it is about physical and emotional worlds. Collection 3 is about the use of powerful language to make ordinary events extraordinary. Collection 4 is about use sounds add layers of meaning.
4. Discuss the role of allusions in three of the texts you read in Units 4, 5, or 6. It Discuss the wiring after is they have completed their work.
5. Is satire an effective method of conveying a message? Explain your opinion using examples from the satirical texts you read during Unit 5. It depends on the kind of message, and the audience to which ot is being conveyed. I would not recommend it for a one on one conversation